13 courses are required within the IMM major. A typical path through the curriculum distributes IMM courses across four years, alongside Liberal Learning and foreign language requirements, electives, and other courses from outside the major. Students might also choose to pursue a minor in another area, or, in some cases, a second major. For more complete degree and program information, please see the IMM Bulletin.
Major Requirements (13 total courses)
- five core courses: IMM 110, 120, 130, 140 (temporarily replaced by 170), and 280
- four intermediate IMM courses (200-level or higher, excluding IMM 280, 498, and 499)
- two advanced IMM courses (400-level, excluding IMM 498 and 499)
- two capstone courses: IMM 498 and 499
- TCNJ Liberal Learning curriculum, including the First Seminar (FSP)
- Three semesters’ proficiency in a foreign language. (Students may satisfy some or all of this requirement through the TCNJ placement exam or College Board/AP scores.)
- WRI 102 Academic Writing. (Some students are exempt from this course through SAT, ACT, or AP scores, or the College’s placement exam.)
- AMM 99 Arts and Communication Seminar (during the first-year fall semester)
- IDS 102: an online, non-credit information literacy course
- Students must complete at least 32 course units (128 total credits) to graduate (including major courses, non-major courses, and transfer credit).
Minor Requirements (5 total courses)
- Two of the four introductory courses: IMM 110/Introduction to Digital Media, IMM 120/Introduction to Interactive Computing, IMM 130/Design Fundamentals for the Web, IMM 140/Writing for Interactive Media (OR IMM 170: What’s New is Old: A History of Innovation)
- IMM 280/Design Perspectives in Interactive Multimedia (CORE course)*
- One IMM course at the 200-level or above
- One IMM course at the 300-level or above (excluding IMM 391, IMM 399, IMM 498, and IMM 499)
*Note: students can take their 200-level intermediate class prior to taking IMM 280.
College Policy allows TCNJ students to cross-count one course between their major and minor programs of study. Please reach out to the IMM Department Office (email@example.com or 609-771-2173) to request Chair review and approval for the cross-counted course.